Thursday, October 29, 2009

Colorhue silk dyes


Several years ago, at the first Houston Quilt festival that I attended, I picked up a sample pack of Colorhue silk dyes. I was really excited about them as I had just taken my first class in fabric dyeing. When I finally got home reality set in. I really wasn't into using silk in my quilts! The dyes got buried somewhere and I forgot I even owned them.... until a few weeks ago when one of my Facebook friends started posting about her experiments. Gerrie Congdon started to explain what she was doing with these and I got excited all over again. A bell started going off in my head and I finally remembered that I bought something similar in Houston along with some silk scarves. I went out to the garage and unearthed the package and found they were indeed Colorhue! I was in the middle of doing something else at the time and knew if I started playing that I would get distracted... happens to me all too often... especially since I have been in a creative funk for most of the summer. I finished up what I was working on and of course looking for an excuse not to start the quilting, I washed the scarves in preparation for dyeing.
Yesterday afternoon I took a deep breath and decided to play with 2 of the scarves. I did not know how deep the colors would be so I started light thinking that I would put a base layer of color on them and then stencil, stamp, or silkscreen over it with either more dye, ink, or paint. These are the photos of the base layer. The lighter one I am going to stencil leaves on it as it looks sort of autumn to me. I have no clue yet what I will do to the other one. These were very easy to do with very little mess or clean up. The blue/green one I scrunched up and it dried like it was shibori. I may have to order wider scarves. These are only 8" wide and good to experiment with but not really wide enough for what I would like to do. I probably will not get to the next step till tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Both turned out really pretty!

Barb Forrister said...

They're beautiful Sherryl. I've seen these in Houston before but I've never actually tried using them. Sounds like alot of fun.

janice pd said...

Nice, can't wait to see it taken further.