Thursday, May 13, 2010

Berry Cobbler/Crisp recipe

I got lots of requests for this recipe so I am posting it here. This is NOT my recipe... I got it 3rd hand so I am not sure of it's original provenance. This serves 4-6. I have made this several times and used peaches one time... it was not memorable. You can cut this recipe in half but remember to put it in a deep dish. Baked on, spilled berry juice is not fun to clean up.. and it smokes.... don't ask me how I know that.

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg beaten (if you live at high elevations you may need another 1/2 an egg beaten)

5-6 cups of Berries ( I use Blackberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries. I am allergic to Strawberries)
1/2 -3/4 cup sugar to sweeten fruit to taste
2 tsp flour
1 stick (1/4 lb) butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 370 degrees. Generously butter a baking dish about 8"x8"x2" (deeper is better).
2. Combine 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir to mix the dry ingredients thoroughly. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg. Stir mixture with a fork until it gets crumbly... the consistency of cornmeal. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more of another beaten egg.
3. Transfer berries into another large mixing bowl. Stir in the remaining sugar and flour together. Sprinkle the mixture over the fruit and carefully toss until it coats the berries thoroughly.
4. Pour the berries into the buttered baking dish and spread evenly.
5. Sprinkle the crumbly flour mixture over the top of the fruit. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over it. Place it in the oven and bake about 40 minutes or until the topping is golden.
6. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. At room temperature the crust will have absorbed more of the berry juices. CAVEAT... this can be addictive!

On another note... I got my ipad 3G yesterday. This is an awesome toy. I have discovered a free piece of software called Dropbox that allows you to upload any file and see it on all your toys (computer, iphone, ipad, etc)... or even on any other computer as long as you have internet access. This really gives you the freedom of leaving your computer at home but gives you access to files you might need. I have not tried out the 3G part yet but the regular wifi works great. I bought a spiffy red case for it.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Thank you for this... I will be making it real soon. My DH will be so happy, I am not a dessert fan, an he is!
Thank you for sharing.
Hugs,
C.

Norma Schlager said...

I LOVE fruit crumbles. This sounds like a good one the I 'll have to try.