Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Out with the old, in with the new
.... well not quite. I finished a piece that I have been working on and started a new one. I have been working on a still life that is a challenge from my art quilters guild. It had to be 24"sq and at least 50% black fabric. I wasn't a real happy camper when I signed up for this (actually, I signed up for it before I knew it had to be black) since I had just finished working on the black and white piece that was driving me nuts. It has no name..... I can't think of one so I am just calling it Still Life 2. The background fabrics are my shibori pieces and one I dyed black. The 2 vases on the left are African fabrics and the squat vase is one of my hand dyes that has been painted over. The flowers are silk from the craft store. I lost my marbles and hand beaded the left side. I would like to enter this somewhere but I am not sure where. This is the old.
The new is more of my shibori and hand dyes that is going to be the background for something oriental in flavor. I think I got carried away and made it larger than I wanted.... Oh well... this is what the fabric was telling me to do.
I had a frightening experience this afternoon. All of a sudden my mouse stopped working as did all 4 of my USB ports. I forced shut down my laptop and opened it up expecting to find it filled with cat hair (occupational hazard in this house). Surprisingly, it was clean ( I clean it out fairly regularly or the fans shut down and overheat. The cat hair gets caught behind the fans). Now I have no idea what might have caused this but I turned the computer back on and everything is working fine.... gremlins.
I had ordered some silk scraps by Jane Steinberg through Artistic Artifacts and my package arrived yesterday....... they are gorgeous and I plan on using them in the piece I am working on.
My poor hubby is on a business trip in Pennsylvania and Ohio and freezing his buns off... it has been a balmy 72 here. I do not miss the northeast one bit. This is what I call winter!