Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Playing with shibori

It is always less stressful when you are learning new techniques to have someone holding your hand. It is far more difficult to experiment with what you have learned in a class at home. I worry that I forgot some important detail or there was so much information that I missed some. Last night I finally got my act together and dyed and over dyed fabric using the shibori techniques I had learned in Jan Meyers-Newbury's class. I decided to only use one color to start... partly because of space constrains, partly because these buckets are heavy and I cannot lift them, and last of all because if I screwed up, I wanted to limit the damage. I twisted, folded, scrunched, and tied the fabrics. I had some fabrics I decided could be improved with some black on them so I mixed up the black using Carol Soderllund's secret recipe and tossed them all in the bucket and held my breath. After unwrapping, they got tossed into cold water and rinsed then 2 washes in very hot water with synthrapol. It is so much fun unwrapping shibori! You never know what you are going to get. I am thrilled with the results!! I am sharing the results with this slide show. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Rayna said...

Yep, it is a pain to do at home. Not as happy with the results I'm getting, but meanwhile, have a piece on the wall using some of the pieces I dyed in Newark.

YOurs turned out gorgeous.

pcoxdesign said...

These are amazing and I am jealous in a good way! VBG. Can't wait to see what you make with them.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

They're wonderful.
Keep the momentum going Sherryl.
K

Norma Schlager said...

It looks like you didn't forget anything. These look great, too.

Judy Rys said...

Wow, your pieces came out beautiful, fantastic texture.