Friday, March 7, 2008

Seeing the world in black and white


I signed up for Pamela Allen's online class, "Think Like an Artist" and our first assignment is to do a still life using only black and white fabrics. I am actually enjoying working in B&W! That is a real surprise to me since I love bright, in your face, color. I think there is inherent drama in black and white studies and while I do not think I am giving up color any time soon, I think I will be trying my hand at some more pieces when this is all over. I am going to miss most of the 1st week of this assignment as I am going to be freezing my butt off in Detroit for the next week. I have posted what I have come up with so far but it is before any critiques. It is not likely I will get to work on it before I leave in the morning. It seems a bit flat to me but maybe with some embellishments it will perk up.

My other obsession in life is duplicate bridge and I will be playing in a bridge tournament all week. If I venture out of the hotel in the freezing cold I will see if there is anything interesting to photograph. No offense to the local residents, but Detroit is not a mecca for me in the middle of winter.

No comments: