Saturday, August 4, 2007

Luscious Color


Well, I have gone and done it, I have created my first blog! I am in love with color and finally got around to dyeing fabrics. I am in heaven! I did it the way I do everything else... I jumped in and I am relieved to report that I did not blow anything up ( that is another story). I am still waiting for my Ann Johnston book but in the meantime I was anxious to play. I started with some premixed dyes that I had bought a few years ago and never used. I got hooked fast. Even though I did not pick the colors I was very pleased with the results and of course I had to order my own dyes to mix. I never do anything the easy way so yesterday I decided to see what I could "cook" up. I bought red, yellow, and blue as primaries and some black along with Chocolate Brown and Chartreuse. I took the Berry Sorbet recipe from a Procion MX Color Mixing Chart I found on several websites as I was limited to the colors I had on hand. Now, most people would test out a sample to see if they liked it...... well of course I didn't. Not only that I decided to make a 9 step graduated color run. While I was at it I decided I would test out some fabrics to see what the results would be using the same dye solution on each. I made up my batch of color and tossed 2 fat quarters (1 of each fabric) into a baggie and proceeded to do my graduated color. The results are spectacular (at least to me). I used unbleached muslin from Roc-Lon PFD (Nature's Way) and some sort of bleached cotton that I bought way back when I bought the original dye kit. I haven't a clue what it is but I suspect it is Dyers cotton. I doubt if it is mercerized. The results are interesting and I like how both the fabrics took the dye. The muslin has a deep, sultry,sueded look to it ( it is the same fabric that Ricky Tims uses..... I bought a bolt from him), the cotton has a richer look to it and the dyes dispersed differently. Both finishes will have a place in my quilts. OK, so I have bored you enough... I am posting some photos.

5 comments:

Lisa Walton said...

welcome to the extremely addictive world of colour and dyeing.
Your life will never be the same!

Beverly said...

I will second Lisa's comment, I'm sure my husband would agree that life has not been the same since I took up dyeing. Have fun, make beautiful color, and keep posting what you do!

Sherryl said...

Thanks,I am already addicted.. I even cleaned out my fabric closet to make room.... took me the whole day. Tomorrow I will play again. This is too much fun AND it is keeping me out of the stores.

Diane Perin said...

Congratulations on the jump into dyeing! It IS addictive. Looks like you got great results, too. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so! Really nice post. Your post is expressing what I actually wanted to know, thanks a lot! packers and movers bangalore